Tuesday 10 July 2012

Day 51 Cairns







Before bed last night, I had an encounter with this little guy...don't be too fooled, he was about 15cm from snout to tail...The kids don't want to go outside today.  If only a drop bear could save them from the cane toad of doom!

Much more relaxed today, and we managed to get some productive things done too.  This morning we got a nice long sleep in, before we contemplated the rest of our movements.  We relented and let the kids go and play in the play ground whilst we waited for the water play ground to open at 10am. 

I forgot to mention in last night's post that Rowan has had his scooter out again.  I have started asking him if he wants a bucket to carry his skin home in, because he has had another massive stack and sloughed skin off the bottom of his foot.  Better judgement has not yet set in, and he continues to ride in thongs. 

 

Anyhow, we went down to the water playground at 10am and the kids went on a playground induced frenzy for the next hour and a half.  Lisa and I had already put our second load of washing on, and after buying a cake tin yesterday, Lisa put a cake into one of the ovens here for morning tea. 





Ashley was the first wounded in the water playground.  Lesson 1.  climbing the water slide whilst the slide is in use results in skin loss and black eyes.  It was two minutes later when he came back in tears after getting head butted in the same eye.  Emma came next with a swollen eye  and obvious concussion because she doesn't remember how it happened.  Lisa had gone to check on her cake, I looked at my iphone for 2 seconds and heard: thud, scream.  That can only be my boy. 



I found Rowan in crumpled heap at the bottom of the playground clutching his arm and squealing his head off.  Dad races to his rescue and gets drenched, helps him out of harms way and inspects damage.  A bit of a graze on the back, some lumps on the head and a skinned toe.  His arm is fine...go figure.  Anyway, I towel my tough guy off and he looks at me and says.  "I'm ok dad, I'm going back in cya."  *sigh*



We finished off with the water playground, and partook of mum's awesome cake after some lunch.  We thought that we would take advantage of the wet weather and go to the cinema to treat the kids.  Ice Age 4...not bad.  Rowan did his usual "I don't like this" and tried to leave a dozen times, but we sat through the whole movie.  The only real down side was that the cinema smelt remarkably like my old socks after football training in the wet. 

Back to the caravan park via the caravan repair shop.  A couple of globes for the lights and a new plunger for the sink and half an hour of Rob the fix-it man has our van back in working order.  I was rewarded with coffee and more cake...She Loves ME! 





I finished the afternoon off with a good game of chess against Ashley, and we played some mini golf whilst Lisa had a quick chat to her mum and some sanity time alone with her book...and the dishes...and a mop…and the washing...but I bet the chocolate supply has suffered in my absence :P









2 comments:

  1. What a day. I think parents are suffering more than kids. You might try Clarke rubber for foam protective balloons in which to wrap each of them as cotton wool isnt strong enough. At least you could hid in it and not hear the screams. ...
    Love to all

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a day. Have you tried Clarke rubber for protective balloons around each kid as the cotton wool seems inadaquate. Oh well.....
    I think parents are suffering more than the kids.
    Love to all

    ReplyDelete